On this blog my wonderful mom will post letters from my mission in Indiana. If you would like to read them, they will be here :) And you can even follow by email, if you want. Purdy cool.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Don't Fear the Reaper

If I had one bug bite for every day I've been in Indiana...I'd have half as many as I do now...but no unhallowed hand (or bug) can stop the work (or my part of the work) from progressing.

I've made my bed more times since I've been here than I probably have otherwise in my whole life. 

Also this past week, there was soo much rain! It was fantastic. Except our pamphlets got soaked. We did too, but we still look okay after we dry ;) Also one night, my companions and I all woke up at like 1:15 'cause the thunder was SOO LOUD! That was also fantastic! It was like it was thundering across the eternities, or like something less cliché, but more profound!  
Another random note: In my first 21 5/6th years of life, I'd only met two birthday buddies. Here I've met three in less than a month. Daughters of two investigators, and a 10ish year old girl from the ward. Gosh, they might all be turning 11. And I'm turning 11 too! Times two....
In more exciting news, R is getting baptized! He is a really great man who knows the Bible super well, and is really committed to learning as much as he can from the Book of Mormon, about the Book of Mormon, about Joseph Smith, and about the church in general. He is getting baptized on the 13th, and we're all just so excited for him and what the Gospel can do for him and his life :D
Funny story that I giggle about several times a day: One of our investigators who comes to church with us regularly was singing the closing hymn. But that's not the funny part.... We were singing A Mighty Fortress is Our God, so the congregation didn't know it super well (still not the funny part.) He lifted the hymnbook up in the air, and looks up at it for the remainder of the hymn. As if that weren't a funny enough image, at the conclusion of the hymn, he puts the book back in the holder thingy and says, to no one in particular, "That song was easy." I'm cracking up now just typing it >)
This past week was full of great experiences, and I learned much. On Friday night, I prayed to know what I could work on to become a better missionary. I am completely aware of many things that I do need to work on, so I was praying to know which was most urgent and most beneficial to my growth and Heavenly Father's purposes. 

On Saturday, I was feeling particularly shy and anxious. All day when I knocked on doors my anxiety spoke to me so much louder than the spirit. When Sister Saunders would encourage me to go talk to someone, I would freeze up and feel extremely uncomfortable. At the end of the night, my wonderful companions wanted to call Randy to clear up something. And I was thinking, gosh, this is so awkward, we just talked to him like 2 hours ago. But it was so inspired! They called, he'd been thinking about us, and long story short, he agreed to get baptized :D I felt so incredibly happy for him, but so sad for myself. But also grateful that the Lord had clearly answered my prayer. 

And then on Sunday in sacrament meeting, I was thinking about how, while I absolutely love teaching/talking about the gospel to those who already know it, it's really hard to teach people who don't know it. I was wondering if I would ever get to speak in sacrament meeting. And then I was asked to share my testimony on missionary work from the pulpit. After church, the bishop told me he hoped that it was okay that he'd asked me to come up. He said he'd just felt really inspired to ask me. Kinda crazy, eh? Also, I just received so many positive thoughts and feelings (revelation) through church about my capabilities and purpose, that I feel so much more encouraged. Heavenly Father really does love us tremendously, and I am learning everyday what exactly that means.
In other news, President Collins went home, and we all miss him terribly. On Tuesday, he called us for a minute, and said at one point, "I love you both" I sadly hung my head, because I figured I was probably the one left out ;) When we reminded him there were three of us, he apologized and said he was in the car and that he loved all three of us. We love him too, and we will miss him.
It has truly been a week of miracles, in which we accomplished several ambitious goals. Our ward mission program is purdy fantastic, and gets better every week, which is something I'm immensely grateful for.
Thank you to Sister Fitch for the lovely letter! I hope you received my response.
Zack, Nicole, Megan, Michael, and Jeff Jeff, thank you so much for the letters, it was so much happiness in one envelope! I will hopefully write you back soon ;) 
And here is like the only picture I've taken in Indiana so far. This is from exchanges with the Sister Training Leader, Sister Cordner. We are both in threesomes, so there were six people in our little apartment. So fun! 
From the left, it's Sister Saunders, me, Sister Cordner (from Gilbert, Arizona), Sister Howard, Sister Mumford (from Apex, North Carolina), and Sister Ware (from Kentucky). Sister Ware is a visa waiter headed to Brazil. She and Sister Mumford came out to Indiana with me.
The field is indeed white, and ready to harvest, and I'm grateful to be a reaper at this time. That sounds grim, doesn't it? (See what I did there?)
Love,
Sister Allie Bowen 

No comments:

Post a Comment