On this blog my wonderful mom will post letters from my mission in Indiana. If you would like to read them, they will be here :) And you can even follow by email, if you want. Purdy cool.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Two Wonderful Companions :)

The past week was purdy cool. We were teaching a man named P about prophets. We asked what makes a prophet a prophet. He said that what he (a prophet) says has to come true...or else he's not a prophet. Makes sense, I s'pose. 

But then I thought about Isaiah, who prophesied about things that wouldn't happen for a long time. By P's logic, how could anybody know he was a prophet? But then I thought about the Bible in general. If the prophecies in the Bible don't happen, then it's not true. And then I thought about how some of the prophecies in the Bible only come true through things that have happened because of this gospel, and because of Joseph Smith. Like how Isaiah foretells a "sealed book" and how it speaks of an apostasy in Amos, and how Elijah would come to turn the hearts of the children to their fathers. If this isn't the true church, then the Bible isn't true either. I'd never realized that before.
We had a lot of other really great experiences, one of which was when we were meeting with a wonderful man named R. A lot of times, when I'm talking about how the spirit testifies of truth I'll say something like, "resonates with my soul." I'd never described that to Randy before, but he used that exact phrase when he was talking about reading the Book of Mormon. Kinda crazy, eh?
I probably don't say enough about my companions. They are wonderful. Sister Howard is always happy and very bold. She'll go up and talk to anybody. She is willing to make any difference in her life (and ours, naturally) if she thinks it will make us better missionaries. Sister Saunders is amazing. She is hard working, motivated, and obedient. She also has perfect pitch, which is purdy cool. One of my favorite parts of our companionship is that we sing a hymn to kick off our companionship study every morning. And we do awesome three part harmonies. What a wonderful thing to enjoy everyday! Sister Saunders has also found me a husband for when I return. It's her brother. Needless to say, I'm purdy excited. It'll be nice that I wont have to go man hunting when I get home ;)
It's really cool to be out here when the missions are changing so much. Purdy soon we'll be using Facebook and email and stuff instead of tracting. It was one of my goals to learn to love tracting...but now I'm not super concerned about that, although I don't know how quickly we'll be switching over yet. 
Something I've been learning is that other people don't see a purpose or need for the Priesthood. So naturally they don't understand the apostasy, or prophets. Oh, the blessings they are missing out on!
Another thing I experienced was that sacrifice really does bring forth the blessings of Heaven. Yesterday we really wanted to get in 3 lessons with a member present, which was kinda crazy considering that we had 4ish hours of church, 3 hours of study, and a two hour broadcast to attend. We cut our lunch really short and skipped dinner so that we could fit them all in. And all of them were really great. We felt the spirit, the people learning about the good word felt the spirit, and we all moved a little closer to our Heavenly Father. That's purdy cool, eh?
Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes
Love,
Sister Allie Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment