On this blog my wonderful mom will post letters from my mission in Indiana. If you would like to read them, they will be here :) And you can even follow by email, if you want. Purdy cool.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Classic Missionary Frustration

Gah, so much to say, and so little time.


One little story I forgot to mention last week: we were at dinner at a member's home, and we were role playing sharing the gospel with the kids. One of the boys was said something about the "heavenly skull"...for which he meant "godhead." I'm still laughing about that one.

We had a whole day in which all our appointments fell through. I learned one of the classic missionary frustrations that day. But it wasn't so bad, because it lead us to talk to other people in the area, and sometimes we just have really great conversations, but sometimes they want to know more.

My favorite part of missionary work so far is learning that the truths we offer are something that people crave. They'll say things like, "It's like all the religions have a piece of the puzzle, and I just have to go around trying to put them all together," or "I believe that all you have to do is follow Christ," or "how could a loving God condemn anybody to hell?" or "I hate when people say they're religious, you know, come to church on Sunday, but do bad things every other day," or "well the Bible has been translated and re translated so many times, how can anybody know if it's true?"

I wish I could just show them what this gospel has to offer them--that there is a bigger picture, that Christ is the supreme example and that knowing Him and following Him is the key, that Heavenly Father does not condemn people to hell, but there is some degree of glory for everybody, and that we are just spiritual being having an earthly experience.

And I can tell them that. But Satan works hard. He makes people believe they cannot overcome their personal challenges. He counterfeits cheaply the effects of the spirit. He lets tradition reign in hearts above truth and love. He lets simple truths still found in the Bible (and clarified in the Book of Mormon) get overlooked. And he has somehow convinced people that God has changed: that He doesn't still communicate with us, that He does not have a propeht today, and that the Heavens are sealed.

I'm learning everyday how to love the work, although I still do get daunted by the longevity of it. But I do really miss being at school still. It's like my life is on pause while everybody else's keeps going. It's kinda crazy though--I see this as a huge sacrifice to be out here right now, yet at the same time, there is nothing I could ever do to repay Heavenly Father for what I am experiencing here.

And I love Indiana. It's so grassy. And I talk about it everyday. Everybody has a front lawn without even trying! They're so spoiled in that regard. And EVERYBODY has dogs and/or cats. At least two, but often more. And everybody smokes. One lady we're teaching (that I actually haven't met yet) smokes so much that her dog has emphazema (or however that's spelled). Kinda crazy. And there are a lot of bird baths. Why do people care so much about birds staying clean?

And I still haven't taken any pictures here, so I'm attaching a few more from the MTC
~The Indiana folks from our District, Sisters Roundy, me, Sister McKendrick, and Sister Colton. I'm glad I didn't get called any further north, 'cause then I wouldn't have been able to reach it. They probably took that into consideration when they called me ;)
~Our district with our teacher SIster Lamplugh: Elders Allred, Fredette, Matangi, and Udall, Sisters Colton, McKendrick, Lamplugh, Roundy, Coons, Roseman, and me
~Arkansas folks from our district, plus the Elders from another district in our zone: Elders Fredette, Wohlgemuth, Udall, Sisters Roseman and Coons, Elders Allred and Hadlock, with Elders Parker and Matangi in front. Love those people :D

I might get a picture here someday soon...but not yet.

Life is good and the work is sweet.

Love,
Sister Allie Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment