On this blog my wonderful mom will post letters from my mission in Indiana. If you would like to read them, they will be here :) And you can even follow by email, if you want. Purdy cool.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Change is Hard, Even for Missionaries

In case anybody was wondering I had a purdy fantastic birthday. It just so happened that our zone's preparation day got moved from Monday to Tuesday 'cause we had interviews on Monday. Not many people have both their birthdays and preparation day on the same day while on their mission.

Sister McKendrick made pancakes and eggs for me for breakfast. When we went to the church building to play sports 'n stuff, the zone leaders marched into the gym with a cake singing happy birthday to me. The jerks used the trick candles that are like impossible to blow out. It wasn't 'til afterwards that we remembered you aren't supposed to have open flames in the church building O_o There's a great video of the whole thing, but the file is too big to email, unfortunately.

Later we had dinner at a member's home, and Sister McKendrick told them it was my birthday, so the put candles in the brownies and sang to me. At bed time, I went to get in bed and found a couple candy bars Sister McKendrick had left there for me. I don't think any one has ever made me feel so loved on my birthday before (she coordinated the cake thing earlier in the day--'cause elders aren't that thoughtful on their own.) What a great day.

On Monday in my interview, President Cleveland told me that I'd be released as a Sister Training Leader and train a new missionary this next transfer. I was really sad and a little angry. I didn't expect that to happen 'til next transfer, especially since Sister McKendrick got to South Bend before I did. That's been something I've actually been really depressed about all week, so that's made things really hard. You'd think I'd have mastered faith and humility by now :P Not to mention sleep had been somewhat elusive for the first part of the week, which greatly impaired my ability to do things :P

But we still got a lot done.

J is still doing really well. He hasn't smoked for two weeks, and he's been coming to church every week.

R was finally able to make it to church again, so that was purdy exciting.

There are sometimes when our plans fall through, and we are just too tired to do much else, so in our efforts to be obedient we walk around our complex. On our latest "faith walk" we found a man named J, who went to school to be a Baptist minister, but that hasn't panned out, so he now stocks shelves at Meijer's, or somethin' like that. We met with him a few times, and he seems very genuine and open, which is always exciting. But I'll probably never see him again :P
Anyway, I'm reasonably convinced there are many adventures to come in the next few weeks, and I'm trying hard to be excited for them. I'll letcha know where I end up next week!

Much love!

Sister Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment