On this blog my wonderful mom will post letters from my mission in Indiana. If you would like to read them, they will be here :) And you can even follow by email, if you want. Purdy cool.

Monday, November 3, 2014

Heavenly Father's Favorite Missionaries!

This area is indeed a challenge, but we're Heavenly Father's favorite missionaries, so that makes things easier ;)

The guy who was going to make squirrel for us (N) is now preparing to be baptized at the end of the month. He had a great time at church yesterday, and seems to just love everything he's been learning.

I don't have a lot to say about this past week--things just seemed to line up well. People kept their appointments for the most part, and we were able to meet most of the people the elders had been teaching. Things are looking good.

Just about everybody we meet out here is exceptionally nice. Even if they aren't particularly interested they will wish us luck and be very polite. What a great bonus that is!

The ward here is purdy great--it's just so big, that I'll probably never even meet everybody O_o

I apologize that this probably isn't the most interesting email ever, but that's okay 'cause e'rybody probably has better things to do than read this anyway ;)

A final thought: I've been thinking about how people don't use prayer as a source of revelation often enough. Sometimes people will encounter a principle, commandment, or fact that they don't agree with. Instead of asking God about it, they just run the other way. What a sad thing--to limit God to our personal understanding. 

I was thinking about how Lehi had the vision with the tree of life (1 Nephi 8), and Nephi didn't really get it. So he asked to understand it, and it was explained to him (1 Nephi 11.) Later, his brothers are having a dispute about what it could mean, and tell Nephi that they received no such clarification. He responds simply: "Have ye inquired of the Lord?" (1 Nephi 15:8

This is something I feel like I've gotten to experience. The first half of my mission I didn't really understand (or really like) the way we have been taught to do missionary work (in regards to key indicators and reporting numbers 'n stuff.) Several months ago, I began to pray to understand the vision--and that clarity was granted! 

Moral of the story: Ask God for clarification. James 1:5. Nephi did, and it helped us understand one of the most important principles to guide us in our lives. Joseph Smith did, and it changed the world. I did, and it significantly improved my mission. Knowledge is power, and is something God will help us attain, especially if we ask.

I hope everybody has a fantastic week.

Love,

Sister Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment