On this blog my wonderful mom will post letters from my mission in Indiana. If you would like to read them, they will be here :) And you can even follow by email, if you want. Purdy cool.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Taking a Step Back

Aaand the adventures continue :D

As far as investigators go, A was the highlight. She is this wonderful woman we found two weeks ago. She is in her 60s and is very committed to Heavenly Father. She initially told us that she probably wouldn't come to church 'til August ('cause she teaches Sunday school at her church), but she prayed about it and came yesterday. Sister McKendrick and I missed Relief Society 'cause we were teaching a man we're teaching named L who didn't want to go to his third meeting, but wanted to keep his grandkids in primary. Somebody told us that when A was introduced as a visitor, she said "I'm not a visitor! I'm here to stay!" She loved everything about church. The things she noted were that we started on time, that everybody knew and greeted each other, and that she got to talk in Sunday School.  She told us she wants to get baptized the second week in July :D

Transfer planning was a cool experience. We drove up to the mission home a few minutes early, and there were three people in the driveway that we didn't recognize. The lady had been the daughter of a mission president who'd lived there in the 70's. Her son was the nephew of President Collins (the previous mission president). So they looked through the house and apparently it's not all that different from how it was in the 70s. So that was kinda cool.

Then we sat in President's office in front of the transfer board. Most of the stuff had already been planned (we don't help with Elder stuff at all, and some of the Sister changes had been made already.) So there were a handful of sisters who needed to be moved around and we got to give input into that, which is purdy cool. My favorite contribution was for who was going to Clear Creek. But I probably shouldn't say anything, and nothing is for sure 'til transfers anyway. It is kinda tricky knowing things and not saying anything. But needless to say it was a cool experience. Afterwards the Clevelands took us out to dinner.

Then we got to stay the night with the Carmel Sisters, which was great, 'cause that's where Sister Howard is now.  The next day was Mission Leadership Council, which is always a revelatory experience. And it's always good to spend time with missionaries, especially ones we haven't seen for a while.

Here are some thoughts for the week: Being a missionary is hard--yet being happy is the same at whichever point in life. Sometime you think "if only we had a lot of people to teach, then I'd be happy" "if only I had a better companion, then I'd be happy", "if only I could have a few moments to myself, then I could be happy." If we are reliant on our situations to make us happy, we will rarely be happy. A large part of happiness really does come from noticing the blessings in our lives, being aware of God's involvement in our lives, and being grateful for all of it.

Lately I've been sooo tired, and life is going so fast, that it's all I can do just to maintain what I'm currently doing, and the thought of doing better than I am (which also feels like an urgent necessity) is overwhelming. But then I take a step back and realize that I have made progress. And just being able to get a solid handle on what I'm already doing will be a tremendous accomplishment. That's kinda cool. A lot of time Satan can make us feel like we're sprinting in place, despite our significant development.

Aaand I have some pictures! (You're welcome, mom ;)
Our best district picture (out of many attempts, sad, I know)
~Elder Orth, Elder Uthaichai, Elder Boyer, Elder Bair, Elder Bramlett, Sister McKendrick, Elder Lindhardt, and me

The MLC people from the South Bend Stake after MLC--we all look uber tired after 5 hours of driving and a 6 hour meeting.
~Sister McKendrick, Elder Lowry, Elder Boyer, Elder Rider, Elder Bair, and me

No comments:

Post a Comment